Director, Web Services Irvine, CA, 2004-2006
Responsible for the overall direction of this HR consultancy’s presence on the Internet.
- Designed and executed a web marketing plan that included search engine optimization, pay-per-click advertising, content development and targeted email campaigns. These marketing efforts resulted in hundreds of B2B sales leads, including many from Fortune 500 companies.
- Directed the development of an HR Portal service for use by clients. The portal was built on an open source framework and facilitated single sign-on between multiple internal and external web applications.
- Responsible for the planning and technical implementation of WebMD’s personal online health portal for Precept’s larger clients.
Walt Disney Internet Group
Senior Systems Administrator North Hollywood, CA, 2000 to 2004.
Managed the servers, applications and content behind many of the Walt Disney Company’s largest web sites, including Disney.com, ABC.com, Oscars.com and DisneyStore.com.
- Worked as the technical liaison between the engineering, content development and production teams as well as outside contractors.
- Maintained, upgraded, monitored and integrated a wide variety of technologies, including caching engines, databases, web applications, network load balancers, commerce sites, routers and file servers.
- As part of the IT Service Management team, I worked with representatives from various technical groups to implement standardized incident, change and configuration management policies across the Walt Disney Internet Group.
- In cooperation with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and ABC Television, I designed and implemented hosting and content management systems for Oscars.com during the Academy Awards from the year 2001 through 2003. Organized and executed the scaling of the web sites for severe traffic bursts as well as enabled fault tolerant content publishing from the event location.
- Researched and created company-wide web server optimization standards for Windows 2000 and IIS to ensure maximum performance and reliability across all Disney-owned sites.
- As a member of the Disney Internet Group Security Council, I researched and defined standards and practices to secure multiple enterprise web hosting environments.
- Directed the technical planning and execution of web site migrations across technology platforms.
Copley and Associates, Inc.
Systems Administrator, Santa Ana, CA, 1997 to 2000
Provided system and network consulting to approximately fifty small and medium-sized businesses.
- Projects required a wide range of skills: systems integration, network planning and installation, WAN implementation, backup solutions and network troubleshooting.
- Responsibilities also included web design, email server management, web server configuration and security consulting.
Web Marketing: Search engine optimization, Google AdWords, Yahoo Search Marketing, bulk email systems.
Web Design: Usability, graphics, color and layout, HTML and CSS, Photoshop and Dreamweaver, publishing systems and web portals.
Operating Systems: Windows, Linux and Sun Solaris systems administration, security hardening, Windows command shell scripting, Bash and Perl.
Web architecture: Java, ASP, Apache, IIS and Netscape, caching appliances, content deployment.
Network: Design and implementation using Cisco switches and routers. Packet sniffing, remote access, VPN, WAN design, DNS and Firewalls.
Hardware: PC and Sun servers, NetApp storage arrays, RAID, tape backup systems.
Software: Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, content and document management systems, accounting systems.